1. Learn about the opportunities and the process.
- Transition website: www.greatagain.com (President Elect Donald Trump’s website) - https://www.greatagain.gov/serve-america.html)
- Help Wanted: 4,000 Political Employee release: https://www.greatagain.gov/news/help-wanted-4000-presidential-appointees.html
- Presidential appointments listing - “Plum Book” – http://tinyurl.com/plum16 - research specific positions for each agency. Google job titles to find out more about the specifics of each position. Determine which of the different types of positions (e.g., senate-confirmed, non-career senior executive, etc.—see Types of Appointments list* below) in which you are interested.
o Top Senate-confirmed appointments position descriptions: (http://presidentialtransition.org/publications/viewcontentdetails.php?id=1352).
o Guide for employees applying for positions and rights (Office of Personnel Management) (https://www.opm.gov/about-us/our-people-organization/support-functions/executive-secretariat/presidential-transition-guide-2016.pdf).
- Partnership for Public Service website: www.presidentialtransition.org
o Administration application web page: https://apply.ptt.gov/ - submit your CV, brief essay and cover letter and indicate in what areas (i.e., agencies, job functions, policies) you'd like to work.
3. Submit your information to candidate referrers.
Freedom2Care (exclusively for health professionals):
· Send your CV (Word or .pdf format), along with 3-5 bullet points summarizing your qualifications, and a list of positions in which you are interested, to email@example.com.
· Federal Interest Survey: https://s.zoomerang.com/r/Freedom2Care - indicate your experience, interests and values.
· Federal registry on LinkedIn - keep your CV and get updates on opportunities for federal service. On the www.LinkedIn.com website (sign in or join for free), go to the search box, click the left arrow and select Groups. Type in Freedom2Care. (If you have problems, just email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to the group.) How to import your CV to LinkedIn (http://tinyurl.com/h5q5yhk). Visibility options: http://tinyurl.com/hg28oj5
Heritage Foundation (for all candidates):
· Restore America Candidate Form: http://tinyurl.com/jxpqo4p – use to note your own availability. After completing this step, health professionals can email email@example.com to request an endorsement (see below).
· Restore America Recommendation Form: http://tinyurl.com/jtykn7o – use to endorse/recommend a colleague.
*Types of Appointments:
- Presidential Appointments with Senate Confirmation (PAS): 1,212 senior leaders, including Cabinet secretaries and deputies, heads of most independent agencies and ambassadors, who must be confirmed by the Senate. These positions first require a Senate hearing in addition to background checks and other vetting.
- Presidential Appointments without Senate Confirmation (PA): 353 PA positions, mostly White House staff plus some in smaller federal agencies
- Non-career Senior Executive Service (NA): 680 key positions just below top presidential appointees, bridging gap between political leaders and civil service throughout the federal government. Most SES members are career officials, but up to 10 percent of the SES can be political appointees. (see https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service).
- Schedule C Appointments (SC): 1,403 Schedule C appointees who serve in a confidential or policy role, ranging from schedulers and confidential assistants to policy experts.