My attorney friend Mary Harned of Americans United for Life has summarized in the AUL blog the key issues of concern for those of us concerned with life issues.
Dr. Charmaine Yoest, President of AUL, reports, "Currently, Sen. Baucus’s bill allows qualified health plans to provide coverage for all abortions and mandates that at least one plan in each state exchange provide coverage of all abortions. Thankfully, we have another chance to protect and defend life in health care reform.
Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) has filed several amendments that would prevent government funding for abortion and would protect current conscience laws for health professionals."
Here are the pro-life amendments being considered for a vote Tuesday, Sep. 29:
- Hatch Amdt. #C14 (355): Prohibits authorized or appropriated federal funds under this bill from being used for elective abortions and plans that cover such abortions.
- Hatch Amdt. #C13 (354): Protection for the right of conscience.
- Hatch Amdt. #C12 (353): Prohibits federal funds under this bill from being used to pay for assisted suicide and offers conscience protections to providers or plans refusing to offer assisted suicide services.
- MAX BAUCUS, MT (202) 224-2651
- JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER IV, WV (202) 224-6472
- KENT CONRAD, ND (202) 224-2043
- JEFF BINGAMAN, NM (202) 224-5521
- JOHN F. KERRY, MA (202) 224-2742
- BLANCHE L. LINCOLN, AR (202) 224-4843
- RON WYDEN, OR (202) 224-5244
- CHARLES E. SCHUMER, NY (202) 224-6542
- DEBBIE STABENOW, MI (202) 224-4822
- MARIA CANTWELL, WA (202) 224-3441
- BILL NELSON, FL (202) 224-5274
- ROBERT MENENDEZ, NJ (202) 224-4744
- THOMAS CARPER, DE (202) 224-2441
- CHUCK GRASSLEY, IA (202) 224-3744
- ORRIN G. HATCH, UT (Sponsor of Amendments) (202) 224-5251
- OLYMPIA J. SNOWE, ME (202) 224-5344
- JON KYL, AZ (202) 224-4521
- JIM BUNNING, KY (202) 224-4343
- MIKE CRAPO, ID (202) 224-6142
- PAT ROBERTS, KS (202) 224-4774
- JOHN ENSIGN, NV (202) 224-6244
- MIKE ENZI, WY (202) 224-3424
- JOHN CORNYN, TX (202) 224-2934